17 July 2010

Outfit Post: Nothern Pride


Hey everyone,

Happy Pride Day to my lovely locals. Here's my Outfit Post for today:

DRESS: New Look, £30. (Limited Edition range)
JACKET: River Island, £17. (sale)
LEGGINGS: Primark, £2.50.
NECKLACE: Miss Selfridge, £2. (sale)
BELT: New Look, £2. (sale)
SHOES: Office, £15. (sale)
POINT OF FASHION: Off to Nothern Pride!

I absolutely LOVE my new River Island jacket - it was just too pricey for me at RRP, but I found it in the sale a few days ago.
Me and Daniel call it my Graham Norton jacket!

Today was Northern Pride – a LGBT event covering the Newcastle/Sunderland/South Shields and surrounding areas.

My favourite clubbing destination has always been the Newcastle’s gay scene.
It’s so funny when people who aren’t regulars come in and stare, as really nothing surprises me now.
Please don't ask me to explain what goes on in the cellar of 'The Eagle'.

There’s something both seedy and comforting about the scene.
Especially mine and Daniel's favourite destination, The Bank bar.
Such as, the drag queen will wave cheerfully at you when you enter, but (no matter your gender or orientation) chances are you will be felt up at the bar.
As I once explained: “It’s like Cheers with free condoms.”
Daniel's blog entry goes into better - and funnier - detail about our escapades!

Back to Pride!
I've also been lucky enough lately to be involved with the lovelies at Pride Radio - so I took some rainbow cupcakes over to our station manager Tony when he was doing the outside broadcast.
They got rave reviews! A bit squished after being in tupperwear for a few hours, but still very yummy.


Vanilla sponge, with chocolate sponge in the middle and massive chocolate chunks.

If you want to try making them yourself, this is what you'll need:

Carla's Rainbow Cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups all purpose/plain four
1//2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup softened butter.
3/4 cup granulated sugar.
2 eggs, room temperature.
2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
2/3 cup milk. (Room temperature)
As many chocolate chips/chocolate chunks as you can handle!

Makes 12 large cupcakes, or 19 smaller cupcakes.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees/Gas Mark 5.
2. Line a cupcake tin with wrappers.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
4. In another bowl beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
5. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing just until blended.
6. Beat in vanilla.
7. Add the flour mixture and milk. Combine, but do not overmix.
8. Separate your mixture into three bowls. In one bowl add red food colouring, in another bowl add chocolate powder (The darker the better), and in the third add green.
9. Mix together until combined, then gently stir in your chocolate chips/chocolate chunks.
10. Add a teaspoon of mixture to each cup until they are 2/3 full.
11. Bake for 18-24 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
12. Cool completely and frost/ice.
I was both lazy and wanting the icing to be a talking point - so instead of regular frosting, I used Ann Summers' Vanilla Body Icing and decorated with sprinkles and gold glitter.

Anyhoo, hope if there's a Pride event in your area you go along and wave that rainbow flag!
I'll try and pop some more pictures from Nothern Pride onto my Facebook page.

Finally, Thank you thank you if you've entered my 450 Followers Giveaway! And if not - please do!
Muchos love,
MessyCarla

18 comments:

  1. Love your outfit - an eye for a fab sale find indeedy! <3 those shoes - and the jacket to.
    How can you not love funky cupcakes - a nice treat for everyone at pride :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way! can you get some buttons so i can add one to my blog to send people to yours! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love going to pride! i love going out with my boy richard on hulls gay scene!

    your hair i slooking huge, was that the magic dust from one of your previous posts! those cupcakes are getting made, ill let you know it goes!

    lois x

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your jacket!
    i went to gay pride in london last week and it was bloody fabulous!
    im straight too but very supportive of these kind of events
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. the whole outfit is great but especially that jacket!


    xoxo
    stina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh those cupcakes make me drool!

    That jacket is fab too!

    www.adventuresofagirlfromthenaki.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely LOVE this outfit! the jacket is so cool.

    This year I walked in my city's pride parade and I had a great time. The pride cupcakes you made look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the Graham Norton jacket!

    www.heart-shaped-bruise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I go to Pride in Manchester every year and it's always incredible. Most of my best friends are gay and, like you, I'm never ever surprised by anything I see in the gay village any more! Love it. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look gorgeous. The shoes are lovely! have fun at Pride. I LOVE Pride!

    wolfwhistle.org

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pride Lastyear was great! But my friend and I decided to walk up the hill near the basketball courts in leazers and I ended up covered in mud! I hope it was just as good this year!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. beaaautiful jacket!! and lush cakes :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look lovely, the necklace is fab and i love your hair!
    I accidentally ended up in the middle of London Pride a couple of weeks ago! I had to drop some paintings off for a competition and had no idea that Pride was going on right where i was going! It was horrible because i hate crowds. And i felt a bit bad for not knowing, some bi girl i am!
    And my god those cakes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the jacket is a cute print. seeing it a lot lately, bought a similar version tank at h&m.

    ReplyDelete
  15. lo: Haha it sure is - I love having big big hair! <33 Oooh deffos let me know how the cupcakes go :) I have absolutely NO design skillzzz but may bribe one of my graphics friends to put some buttons together :)

    Missypixie Doodle: Haha I know, I've been a bit naughty in the sales - I'm doing a big haul post soon :)

    Belle xx: That's fab, me too :)

    stina honey: Thank you :) xxxx

    Trees: Teehee, thank you! xxxxx

    Sonia: Thankies <333

    heartshapedbruise.: Me too, he's my hero! "Very good! Very good!"

    Helen: Ooh me and Dan have always wanted to go out on the scene in Manchester - I was staying in a hotel by there last year and it looked so much fun!

    Amy: Thank you :)

    Anika Sweetfaced Style: Cheers :)

    Simone: If you go ANYWHERE in Leazers you get covered in mud :DD

    Amy from Forever Curiouser: Thank you, hun :) xxx

    Lillian Funny Face: Awww poor you, Lillian! <33333

    Celia: Yeah I like it cause I'm so sick of pastel florals, and this is a bit bolder than usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there pretty! i found your blog randomly and i think it's soooo adorable (as are you!) i followed your blog =) & i'm also having a giveaway on my blog if you'd like to check it out. here's the link:

    http://watchthesunsett.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-first-ever-giveaway.html

    ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That jacket is amazing. Is very jealous. Good to see a Newcastle girl doing a blog like this - am just over the water in Gateshead. Bet that looked fab for the pride event.

    ReplyDelete